DIY Wine Cork Bulletin Board

In my slow quest to turn our townhouse into a living Pinterest board, I have another project to share with you guys today.  This was the first project I attempted and successfully completed in our new place.  Let me take you on a journey to that time I converted the side of an exposed kitchen cupboard to a wine cork bulletin board!


Disclaimer:  I had been diligently drinking wine and saving corks for about a year and a half to two years when we moved in.  I was waiting and hoarding wine toppers like a drunken squirrel for the perfect project to use them with.  So I did not have to steal, beg for or, most horrifically, purchase these corks in order to do this project.  I earned it and I can tell you it is all the more satisfying.  Do your own damn drinking for your crafts.

Step 1:  Removing the dirty cork that was peeling off the cupboard.  The previous tenants that the same idea, “let’s stick stuff up here!” but by the time we got there the thin cork sheets they had put up there were mangy and dirty.  It bothered me so much I started picking at it the night we signed our lease and neglected to take a photo.  After some broken nails, a butter knife and half a bottle of Goof Off here is what it looked like:


Step 2:  Since we are renting, I knew I would have to remove the corks one day so rather that perma-gluing them to the wood and hating my life more than I already will when we move out one day, I cut a piece of chipboard to the size of the wood slab and fitted the back with poster tabs.  It is hella secure but will pop right off if I wanted it to.


Step 3:  Cut your corks!  You want them to lay flat on the board rather than trying to glue a round object, so you need to cut each cork lengthwise with an Exacto knife.  This part is laborious and I did get some blisters due to the sheer volume of corks that needed cutting.  However by chopping them in half, you get two pieces out of each cork and you double your supply!

Hot Tip:  Soak the corks in hot water for 10 minutes or so before you cut and it will be much easier to slice the knife through them.


Step 4:  Arrange your pattern and glue (I used E600 permanent fixative).  Gloves are good idea, but I am notorious for getting too excited to remember to put them on.  I decided on a patchwork pattern of alternating between two horizontal rows and one vertical row.  I love the pattern it created and allowed me to showcase the different writing and graphics on each cork the way it was oriented and designed.  Not every row matched up with the space on my board exactly, so I did some shaving on a few of the pieces to get the corks to fit all the way across.


I love puzzles and this was the ultimate one; designing it as I went and gluing row by row and allowing it to dry.  It took about a week to complete working on it here and there, waiting for it to dry and resetting.  I glued everything onto the board already hung up on the cabinet so to battle the gravity of wet glue, I loosely taped each row in place as it dried so it would stay where I wanted it.  Ta da!


It was a labor of love and each piece of my bulletin board is a memory forged over a bottle of wine with friends and loved ones.  I encourage every patient and ambitious crafter out there to do your own wine corking project and upload your pics to the comments!

For more buyable decor for the home, check out what’s on sale in my Etsy Shop!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s